Friday, February 4, 2011

SNOW

This weather is absolutely crazy. I can’t believe that we are having this weather in Texas. In Texas, we are known for 100+ degree temperatures, not ice storms and inches of snow. If and when we get snow or ice it only lasts for a day, if that. It has been three days of ice and sleet, which meant no work or school, and last night it began to snow. It’s nothing if not absolutely beautiful outside. Yet the weather is like a beautiful woman, beautiful but dangerous. I have been stuck in the house all week except for yesterday when I ventured out for the night. What a big mistake that was. As I was walking from the car to my cousins apartment I slipped and fell, resulting in my head hitting the ground. My head doesn’t hurt at all, but my entire neck area is in pain. It is supposed whiplash. Isn’t that crazy??
As a kid growing up in Texas, snow happens once in a blue moon. As soon as I woke up this morning I had such childish ideas of making snow angels and sliding down the street on a homemade sled. As soon as my cousins son showed up at my mothers we engaged in a snowball fight and made snow angels. We began making snow men but that it definitely harder than it looks. If there is still snow tomorrow, I am going to try to make one on my own. I wish that I had my neice and nephew to share this with but that’s a story for another time.
The superbowl is on Sunday and this weather is not changing anytime soon. Is it a Superbowl curse? We’ve never had weather like this before. I live in Dallas, Tx if you guys didn’t already know that.
Could it be global warming? That thought really scares me. We seriously need to start making changes because we are in trouble. I have been trying to figure out how I can minimize my carbon footprint and try to engage others to do the same. A while back I was considering taking a sewing class so that I could make recyclable bags for shopping instead of the plastic bags.
Once in the environment, it takes months to hundreds of years for plastic bags to breakdown. As they decompose, tiny toxic bits seep into soils, lakes, rivers, and the oceans, said Cobb. Taken from Are Plastic Grocery Bags Sacking the Environment?
John Roach
for National Geographic News
September 2, 2003

Go to this link and find 50 Ways to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
http://www.metroactive.com/metro/08.15.07/50-ways-to-go-green-0733.html

I didn’t have the funds to take the sewing class but soon I will and I think I may go ahead and take it. We really need to start taking care of the environment. I want my future children to be able to enjoy Texas weather and on occasion make a snowman or woman. 

On a much happier note, here are some shots of my little snow adventure today. Sorry for the quality, I had to take with my camera phone. Enjoy.

This is after I fell and bumped my head..

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Katie Gilbert said...

shop girl? Like the kathleen kelly? Just wondering. And lucky duck! Oregon, where I live, seems to be the only state without snow this winter. Enjoy it while it is there.

ShopGirlXOXO said...

LOL I had to google Kathleen Kelly. You've Got Mail!! It's actually a reference to the movie Shopgirl with Claire Danes and Steve Martin. It's one of my all time favs.
I did enjoy it even though I have terrible whiplash from my spill.

Hannah said...

I much prefer the snow to weather like today... sub-freezing temperatures and it's not even pretty outside!!

ShopGirlXOXO said...

true.... :)